Old August 29th 16, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean[_2_]

Default Buying a glider, advice on type and prices

Standard class gliders are nearly dead. Domestically and internationally. For the past several years, in the USA, their national contest has been teetering on the edge of not being held. Sad, but a reality that is important based the list you offered.

I would suggest a flapped glider, probably the ASW27. Ventus is ok too.

For whatever it is worth, the Lak17a is also excellent and is both 15/18 (competitive in both classes). This one can be acquired for far less than an ASG29 or other 18-meter glider. In most cases for less than a 27 or Ventus! The Lak17a was my first racing glider and I was very, very pleased with it. I actually miss it from time to time. My dad still has his and keeps up with my in my 29 with ease (even now that I know what I am doing a bit).. 18 meter flapped is a really fun, popular class. The Lak17a allows you to enter this class at a fraction of the cost.

Several he http://wingsandwheels.com/classifieds

Good luck and welcome back!

Sean