Old June 29th 05, 02:49 AM
Doug

Yes, it is a carbureted engine. Leaning to peak at 50% power and then
using that temperature to lean to at higher power settings works. It
gives about 50 degrees rich at 65% power and 100 degrees rich at 75%
power and 150 degrees rich at 85% power etc. All without having to
actually lean to peak at these high power settings, which even one
time, can overheat and do damage.

All this talk about running lean of peak usually doesn't work with
carbureted engines because of uneven airflow. Running rich of peak
aviods the peak settings that can overheat things and do damage. It is
false economy to try and run lean AT HIGH POWER SETTINGS and possibly
damage your engine. Below 65% or so, you can usually lean all you want
and you will be fine. My method allows some "cushion" using the 50%
setting for lean as possible instead of 65%. I would not want to
advocate something that could cause damage, so I stayed conservative.
If you want to experiment around, you are free to do so. Just look in
your POH and see what 50%, 65% and 75% power settings are and jot those
down so you have a reference when you start experimenting. And don't
run things too hot. Heat weakens metal. That is what you want to avoid,
even if it means burning a little more fuel.