Old June 29th 05, 07:17 AM
Howard Nelson

I fly a C182P with O470S. Recently read the engine management and leaning
articles on AVWEB prior to a long (1200NM) cross country. I have a 6
cylinder analyzer with CHT and EGT for each cylinder. Cruising at 7500ft I
would lean to about 75-100 ROP on the first cylinder to peak. I would have a
large descrepancy between EGT temps between the cylinders due to uneven
distribution of fuel air mixture in the O470S. I then tried a trick
mentioned in those articles. I would back off the throttle until MP just
noticably fell (about 1/4 inch MP). After a couple of minutes the EGT's were
all within 25 degrees of each other. The idea put forward in the article was
that by partially closing the throttle the turbulence created resulted in
more even distribution of fuel. Don't know if there is any rational basis of
this but seemed to work in my plane.

Howard