Old May 14th 20, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Default PLB Spot InReach Webinar 5-12-2020

Nick - Thanks for the comments.

I try with my pros/cons analysis of the PLBs versus Personal GPS Trackers to be as impartial as possible.

But, full disclosure, I have owned a PLB for many years across three different models (getting smaller all the time). I like them because;

- I don't have to worry about yet another battery being charged (though I am doing that anyway with my ship's main batteries)
- There is 121.5 beacon
- There is a visual and an IR strobe
- It is a (better?) US governmental agency receiving my emergency alerts versus a non-governmental one (though in the end probably the same group of first responders will be alerted and arrive on site)
- There are no recurring fees*

But I clearly understand the main flaw with PLBs is the missing acknowledgment that the message was received and being acted upon. In David Lessnick's case it took ~4 hours for rescuers to show up. During that wait I can imagine the following conversation going on in my mind, "Did they receive my message? Am I going to be rescued? Should I stay in place or leave to find help?"

So the Personal GPS Trackers are definitely better in this regard. David mentioned this. I also cover this in my pro/con slide (being updated as we speak). Not only will GEOS tell me that help is on the way but I can alert my family and friends. Not to mention real time tracking. Am I convincing myself?
The best of both worlds is to carry a PLB and a Tracker which is what David had.

One comment I hear is, "You spent how much on your glider and can't afford $xxx each month to possibly save yourself? You can't put a price on your health!".

Thanks again, stay safe, John
http://aviation.derosaweb.net/presentations

* For both the SPOT X and the Garmin InReach you can sign up for a monthly plan. See the presentation for details and links.