Old May 20th 04, 06:57 PM
Bob Gardner

The first step is to use flight following, which puts you in contact with
ATC right off the bat. Then all you have to do is ask for an IFR clearance
"present position direct" to your destination (or via airways, your choice).
This works great out here in the West...can't speak for the crowded east.

Bob Gardner

"Stimbo" wrote in message
om...
What are the recommended procedures in obtaining an IFR clearance
enroute?

Flying from NJ to FL, I prefer to fly VFR, but undoubtedly I will
encounter IMC along the way. If I filed IFR in advance, it takes 1/2
hour or more to clear it through ATC. I obviously cannot wait 1/2
hour if I encounter IMC enroute.

Is there an "acceptable" procedure enroute if I start seeing a cumulus
build-up in front of me? Do I have to land and file? Do I file with
FSS and wait 1/2 hour before I open with Center? Can I file directly
with Center? Is this idea generally "frowned upon" by ATC?

I'm not necessarily looking for regulations as I am for practical
experiences that others have witnessed.

Thanks for any tips.

Stimbo
Medford, NJ