Old May 20th 04, 07:50 PM
Maule Driver

"Stimbo" wrote in message
om...
I, of course, know that I can simply FILE IFR from the get-go and just
not activate it until I need it.

Well, not really. If you file, you need to open at departure. Otherwise,
down the line they won't know who you are and may not go look.

However NJ to FL is a 9-hour flight
in a Cessna 172 plus 2 stops totalling 10 to 12 hours. I don't
remember how long the IFR plan stays active in the system (3 hours?)
before it's dropped. I guess this procedure makes me file every time
I make a fuel/potty stop.

No, you file all the legs at the beginning. Then open (or not) at each
departure. Works great.

I like the COMPOSITE flight plan idea. I had sorta forgotten about
it. I need to read more about it. Is this easy to
implement/activate?

I gave up on Composite plans - I'm sure they work fine though. I either
file and open at departure or file/get a clearance enroute

Yes - I should have originally stated that if VFR it would be with
Flight Following. That's too long of a flight without help of some
kind - especially these days (TFR's etc.)

True. But they will let you wander into active MOAs on occassion. I'm
talking specifically NC to south FL.

I've done Raleigh to Miami, Key West, Tampa a number of times. If you have
the ticket, I'd file and fly IFR. Despite the fact that VFR below cloudbase
if often the best strategy in NC and SC during the summer. My experience is
that it doesn't work so well further south on long CCs. Bases too low, too
much tricky airspace, etc. Flying the cloud canyons IFR with an occassional
penetration, Cheap*******, and lots of radar advisories from the very
experienced FL controllers has worked best for me.

BTW, I fly north from Raleigh to NJ, PA, and NY. North of Richmond, the
rules change and VFR is a critical tool in good weather. Can't necessarily
make sense of that but that's my experience.