Old September 26th 06, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn Simon

Default Insurance

"Jose" wrote in message
m...
The fact that it tops out at $150,000 or something along those lines.
The G1000 equipped aircraft have hull values in excess of that.

Well, it would pay =up=to= the policy limit. Most of the time, damage to the
airplane is a lot less. A gear up for example may be $10-20K.

"You pays your money and you takes your chances." But having insurance
that is only a fraction of the hull value of the plane I am renting is not a bet
I am willing to make at this stage of my life.

Depending on your state's laws, some people are effectively "judgment
proof" because no insurance company would waste tens of thousands just to win an
uncollectible "empty judgment" against someone with no attachable assets. In
that case, minimum (or no) renter's insurance may be just fine for you.

Vaughn