Old February 21st 19, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Affect of Alcohol (Beer) on Soaring and Soaring Racing

I am surprised that this subject is even being debated. We have hundreds, if not thousands of years of analyses of consuming alcohol and resulting performance. It isn't a mystery- you don't do well on even simple tasks when drunk. ("Touch your nose. Now stand on one foot. Now put your hands behind your back and let's go downtown.")

A beer or two or three with friends after flying is a longstanding tradition in the aviation and soaring world. (I consider beer to be a reward and celebration with friends after a joyful day swooshing around the sky. We refer to it as 'Aircrew Debriefing Fluid.')

I know I don't fly well the day after drinking too much and so I don't fly with a hangover. If we get into a weather pattern at Moriarty that promises several days of great conditions, I limit my consumption to a level that is commensurate with the time necessary to metabolize the alcohol consumed prior to engaging in aviation related tasks. If I fail to limit the consumption, I just don't fly the next day and kick myself for screwing up.

Judgment is a personal choice, and I certainly respect the attitude of Sebastian Kawa, for obvious reasons. He is simply the best in the world. But I also appreciate the many competition pilots who can kick back and socialize with friends after a long, challenging contest flight. Perhaps they have a beer or two, a couple of glasses of wine, some laughter and camaraderie. It is always a personal choice.

Will you do better in a soaring contest if you completely abstain from consuming alcohol? Maybe, but you can also learn a lot about your competition by hanging out with them after flying.

Remember that being Number One in your particular field shouldn't come by being a judgmental, critical outsider. We do this because it is fun. I don't see too many trophies sponsored by breweries, although I wish I had been around for the Smirnoff Sailplane Derby