Old February 16th 05, 05:27 PM
Jim Carriere

Ron Wanttaja wrote:
On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 02:53:18 -0600, "Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired"
wrote:

Morgans wrote:

Sorry, since I teach shop to 15 - 18 year olds, I find myself dumbing it
down, quite a bit. Do I need to go lower for your benefit? g

Sure, Jim, but just for me

When the ROTC kids and accademy clones came around during their summer
games I used terminology like yours. It simplified things and those who
were really interested could ask questions or come back later.

And those who *didn't* understand the simplified terminology are
generals, now. :-)

We once had a general come visit our control room for the early-warning
satellite I used to fly. This was late '70s, when computer technology was still
in its early stages.

The general sat at the display while the 1st Lt operator flipped through the
satellite health and status pages. But a flickering item had attracted his
attention. He pointed a flag-grade index figure at the screen and asked "What's
that?"

The lieutenant swallowed. "That's the cursor, sir."

Was that you, or one of your friends?

I know a guy stationed in Colorado Springs right now, working for
J-something-or-other. I asked him to find out for me if WOPR was
real (How about a nice game of chess?).