Old September 24th 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
.Blueskies.

Default Cessna 150 with STOL comments requested

Hard surface runway you should be using no flaps for takeoff...

"wise purchaser" wrote in message ups.com...
: Greetings!!!
:
: I hope that I am not becomming a bother to the group but I have a
: question:
:
: I have my own airstrip. it's a 20 foot wide 1350 foot long crusher
: run gravel runway.
:
: I had the runway built using Driveway fiber mat (fabric) ( cow carpet)
: laid down on the bare dirt, then Crusher run gravel poured on the
: fiber mat, spread out with a dozer, then compacted with an ashphalt
: roller then graded with a road grader.
:
: The runway is very hard surface you can drive a car on it and it will
: not budge!!! dry or wet no tracks left behind in the gravel.
:
: I have a stock1973 Cessna 150L with a new 0 -200A engine. On warm
: days: den alt about 3100 feet with full fuel with myself in the
: airplane it gets off the ground at about 700 feet ground run with 10
: flaps zero wind. I hold the airplane in ground effect untill the
: very end of the runway to clear a 4 feet high Barbed wire fence then
: start a SLOW climb. ( by the way, after the barb wire fence is a 2000
: foot wide flat pasture that is owned by my neighbor; all I have to do
: is get over the fence and I am all right plenty of open space to set
: down on!!)
:
: I have noticed that with 20 flaps will get the plane into the air
: with a much shorter ground run but the work load is very high you have
: to start to work off the flaps as soon as you break ground: As the
: speed comes up so do the flaps in little increments till I hit 10
: flaps.
:
: It seems that what ever the flap setting I use the Airspeed over the
: barb wire fence is ALWAYS no higher than 60 mph! just 6 MPH over the
: stall speed. I can get off in 500 feet with 20 flaps stay in ground
: effect longer milking up the flaps, but still arrive at the end with
: 60 MPH???
:
: Is this normal or should the airplane be faster? should I see if she
: will climb or is it better to stay in ground effect till I clear the
: fence? I clear the fence in ground effect at 15 feet of altitude
: give or take a few feet.
:
: Question: if I add a STOL kit to my stock 150 will it help in this
: situation?? I am unsure if the airplane will be able to takeoff,
: clear the fence with two people: my daughter and myself.
:
: This may sound kooky but I am thinking of full fuel, myself and one 80
: pound bag of concrete in the co pilots seat do a take off if it works,
: then place another bag on the seat (160 pounds total) than do it again
: ( with FULL respect to den alt and wind) .
:
: I am looking for a 150 with 150 HP engine with a STOL kit installed.
: see prior post for details this is why I want a 150/150 with STOL.
:
: Comments thanks!!!!!
: