Old September 1st 03, 11:06 AM
Alexandre Le-Kouby

Default Harrier thrust vectoring in air-to-air combat?

yes sea harriers have been used in air to air combat during the falklands
war in 1982 against the argentinian mirages and were quite successful.

"Boyan Brezinsky" a écrit dans le message de
I know this has been discussed ad nauseam, but I have to ask, so please
bear with me.
Has the thrust vectoring capability of the Harrier been used in air-to-
air combat? If yes, how? Please, no smart answers like "yes, in
providing forward speed". I've seen a reference to a book that claims it
has not been used due to loss of energy, which makes perfect sense.
Then, I've seen a suggestion of using changing thrust to downward while
at the top of a loop, thus tighting the loop. Although this seems
feasible, it still somehow doesn't feel right.
Could you please provide some references? Preferably on the Internet,
since I don't have access to books (like the abovementioned "The Story
of Air Fighting" by Air Vice Marshall J. E. Johnson).
Thanks!
Boyan