Old September 1st 03, 11:56 PM
Chad Irby

Guy Alcala wrote:

Juvat wrote:

[At the time I was posted on Phantoms in Germany and never saw the RAF
Harriers from Gutersloh use VIFFing.

Probably because they weren't using it. It was largely a USMC/FAA thing at
the time. The RAF Harriers were tasked and trained for attack, the FAA and
to a lesser extent the USMC were more A/A oriented.

I could swear I read somewhere that the Marines had to specially modify
their Harriers to use VIFF - wasn't there a manual lockout that kept the
nozzles from swiveling during most flight refimes on the early planes?

Slam on brakes accordingly.