Old January 1st 07, 07:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Wayne Paul

Default You Know You're Old Dept.

"anon" wrote in message
m...

"DABEAR" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hughes Electronics has a fleet of them operational at Van Nuys Airport,
California. They even have a C.O.D. version of sorts, complete with
passenger windows.

As a kid, I remember checking out a VIP Transport A-3 at Andrews. It had
leather seats!!

The VIP transport is the same frame as the TA-3 and EA-3. The TA-3 was
designed as a Bombardier/Navigator trainer. The TA-3's cabin area housed a
300 lb analogue computer , that's right, I said analogue (gears, servos,
and mechanical integrator), and several navigation tables complete with
sextant mounts. The EA-3s were loaded with electronic equipment to monitor
the USSR military technology and operations. Another variation of this
airframe was the RA-3 photo bird. In addition to cameras, it had a small
bomb bay for photo flares.

CNO's CA-3 ... http://www.a3skywarrior.com/donatedpics/144865.jpg
http://www.a3skywarrior.com/donatedp...57VIPTABLE.jpg
http://www.a3skywarrior.com/donatedp...4857IntFwd.jpg
http://www.a3skywarrior.com/donatedp...4857IntAft.jpg

TA-3...... http://www.a3skywarrior.com/pg11photos/ta3b00_2.jpg

EA-3 ..... http://www.a3skywarrior.com/jpg/seabrine.jpg
http://www.a3skywarrior.com/pg10phot...9_interior.gif
http://www.a3skywarrior.com/gif/a-3r12.jpg
http://www.a3skywarrior.com/donatedpics/km2.jpg

RA-3 ..... http://www.a3skywarrior.com/donatedpics/wp1.jpg
http://www.a3skywarrior.com/pg9photos/2p.jpg (notice the 20
mm cannons. http://www.a3skywarrior.com/jpg/guns.jpg)
http://www.a3skywarrior.com/pg12photos/web4.jpg

Perspective of the A-3s size ...
http://www.a3skywarrior.com/donatedpics/cat%20prep.jpg

One small point. The A-3 did NOT have ejection seats!!!
http://www.a3skywarrior.com/pg17photos/Adams11.jpg
http://www.a3skywarrior.com/pg17photos/Adams11.jpg
A sudden heavy gust from starboard on a close in approach with no time to
correct. Luckily the hook didn't engage a wire. LCDR John Priest got it
airborne again and limped to Iwakuni and made a successful landing with no
hydraulics and the port wing bet up 10 degrees.

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com