Old November 16th 04, 06:43 PM
Bob Gardner

Transport category aircraft (what you call commercial) are stalled during
manufacturer's certification tests and that is about it. Jet aircraft are
equipped with warning "stick shakers" that activate when the airplane is
even close to stalling, and "stick pullers" that take the decision out of
the pilot's hands by physically reducing the angle of attack whether the
pilot likes it or not. You will never experience a stall in a "commercial"
aircraft.

Bob Gardner
"Ramapriya" wrote in message
m...
I've seen that John Denker in his article advocating pilots to keep
practicing recoveries from stalls and spins at a safe altitude...
which prompts me to ask the following:

1. Since I don't think I've experienced a stall or spin before, is it
a nice sensation to experience as a passenger, or wouldn't one be able
to tell?

2. Is it ok for pilots to practice stalls and spins on commercial
passenger aircraft in mid-flight? I ask, since I don't think it's
happened on any flight I've flown so far - unless some pilot did it
without informing the passengers :\

Ramapriya