Old November 17th 04, 12:56 AM
Andrew Sarangan

Bob, Is that true for landing also? Do they do full stall landings or do
they fly the airplane into the ground?

"Bob Gardner" wrote in
:

Transport category aircraft (what you call commercial) are stalled
during manufacturer's certification tests and that is about it. Jet
aircraft are equipped with warning "stick shakers" that activate when
the airplane is even close to stalling, and "stick pullers" that take
the decision out of the pilot's hands by physically reducing the angle
of attack whether the pilot likes it or not. You will never experience
a stall in a "commercial" aircraft.

Bob Gardner
"Ramapriya" wrote in message
m...
I've seen that John Denker in his article advocating pilots to keep
practicing recoveries from stalls and spins at a safe altitude...
which prompts me to ask the following:

1. Since I don't think I've experienced a stall or spin before, is it
a nice sensation to experience as a passenger, or wouldn't one be
able to tell?

2. Is it ok for pilots to practice stalls and spins on commercial
passenger aircraft in mid-flight? I ask, since I don't think it's
happened on any flight I've flown so far - unless some pilot did it
without informing the passengers :\

Ramapriya

http://www.usenet.com