Old July 18th 03, 06:36 PM
Jim

This is probably a bit off-topic, but in my very low-time gliding I
have been towed by pilots who tried to keep a constant airspeed and
by those who tried to keep a constant attitude -- consistent with safe
airspeed of course.

It has seemed much easier for me to fly behind a tug that was keeping
a fairly constant attitude than behind one trying to keep a fairly
constant airspeed - thereby flying up and down as the task of keeping
the airspeed required.

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 15:40:28 GMT, "Marske Flying Wings"
wrote:

My point was that the tow seems entirely normal. And in that respect when I
see the tow plane move up on my canopy I also go up, Perhaps not to the full
extent but this does solve a problem in very turbulent thermals where the
tow plane goes up and in the process looses airspeed leaving me at a low
poition and at low airspeed. A really good towpilot will keep a constant
speed fairly well. I can always pull the spoilers to descend or side slip to
take up slack if I am high.

Most tow pilots feel that the climb is so steep with the Pioneer on tow that
they haveto add flaps so they can see out over the nose.

Incidently I tow between 65 and 70 mph.... but I avoid a lot of difficulties
in a position where the tow planes wings are on the horizon.

hope this helps -mat