Old December 2nd 07, 11:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Maxwell

Default Spinner strobing as a "Bird Strike Countermeasure"

"Maxwell" wrote in message

"Blueskies" wrote in message
t...

"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
.. .
The following thread on the Van's Air Force web site was of general
enough
interest that I thought it worthwhile to bring it to the attention of
other
pilots:

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ad.php?t=24147

Would be quite useful if it really worked. Of course there would still
be
strikes with inattentive and near-sighted birds. ;-)

I wonder about doing the candy stripe spiral on them, or painting the
blades different colors...

There is a design used on the American Airlines (and perhaps others) high
bypass engines that is reported to be effective too. Might check it out at
airliners.com or something. Considering visibility difference and rotation
speed, the design you are testing appears even more visible. My guess is,
it will work.

http://tinyurl.com/2yjh2c