Old December 3rd 07, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Robert Bonomi

Default Spinner strobing as a "Bird Strike Countermeasure"

In article ,
Maxwell wrote:

"Roger (K8RI)" wrote in message
On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 22:09:30 -0000, Jim Logajan
wrote:

At cruise RPM that effect would be completely lost. There's not a
bird or human alive that can discern stroboscopic effects of more than
a couple hundred cycles let alone over a 1000. Most of us can't even
discern 60 cps.

"Mike Noel" wrote in message
True, but aren't we talking about 40 cps when the prop RPM is 2400?

Seems I have heard the 16 cps is all that is required for movies to appear
continuous. I think the human eye loosed it around 12 or 13. However, we
don't seen consciously either. Hence the reason an aircraft propeller will
appear to be revolving slowly backwards at times.

Visual perception is funny and complex.

black & white films were 16 frames/second.
Color films are 24 frames/second

U.S. TV is 60 fields/second, European is 50/second.
This is driven more by the need for phospors that 'decay' rapidly enough
to not produce 'blurred' motion than perception issues.

OTOH, A significant number of people can perceive 'flicker' in conventional-
tube fluorescent lamps. which is at 120 flickers/second.

Also, the eye -- and brain -- 'notices' things that are too fleeting for
conscious identification. Google 'subliminal' advertizing -- IIRC, lab
tests showed that injected imagery with a duration of only a few milliseconds
had 'measurable' effects.