Old April 18th 07, 05:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Bill Baker

Default Naval Aviator Slots- HELP!!

On 2007-04-17 18:31:15 -0700, John said:

I honestly have never heard of any aviators that came this route, even
when I was in the NAVAIR Training Command in the 70's and 80's when
the need for pilots was greater than now. Not that it does not happen,
just have not known anyone.

Why would someone even go the Merchant Marine route in the first place
if they were dreaming of a career as a naval aviator? The Navy looks
down their collective nose at the merchant marine sailors, always have.
He would probably had a better shot for a pilot slot by getting his BS
in aeronautical engineering at someplace like Purdue via the NROTC
route.