Old June 3rd 09, 01:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb[_2_]

Default The Home-made Home-builders Engine

Brian Whatcott wrote:
Morgans wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote
Rotax - 503 or 582 (618).

When installed and operated correctly they are very reliable.

When installed and operated correctly they are very reliable.

Say that again.
When installed and operated correctly they are very reliable.

Again.
When installed and operated correctly they are very reliable. When
installed and operated correctly they are very reliable. When
installed and operated correctly they are very reliable.

Therein lies the problem. When.
When, When, When.

Too often they are not operated correctly, partially because they are
too many different ways to screw up. When goes all to hell, then.

Logically then, the sentence becomes: When _NOT_ installed and
operated correctly they are _NOT_ very reliable.

In my opinion, no two strokes belong in any plane that does not fly so
slowly that crashes into any object are not survivable.

Now HERE'S an interesting thread.
I have seen ultralights go quiet, crash and the tales of resulting dire
injury. But I have no insight into correctly handling the aero 2-stroke.
What constitutes "install and operate correctly."
You could save somebody a whole spoiled day if you will tell.

Thanks

Brian W

Installation and operation:
http://www.ultralightnews.ca/rotax50...tionmanual.pdf

Maintenance Schedule:
http://www.ultralightnews.ca/rotax50...ancemanual.pdf

As you said...
While not installed or operated correctly ANY engine will fail.

Do you think a home made engine will be any better?