Old November 23rd 09, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

Default Three take offs = three landings at Newton MS and Madison MS -Video

On Nov 23, 11:21*am, " wrote:
On Nov 22, 1:21*pm, "Flaps_50!" wrote:

This can be achieved by making use of
the back side of the power curve. Try to really land within the short
field specs of the plane i.e. to get her down and stopped by a certain
point on the runway.

Not sure how much further I could have gone on the back side of the
power curve flaps. *Stall horn was going strong on both landings. Any
slower airspeed and I would have plunged to the ground.

I think your second sentence is the answer, NOT the first one to
correcting the problem I encountered in the video. *Problem as I
replied to A was that I was intimidated by the real deal 50 foot
obstacle (AKA trees) causing me to make a steeper then normal descent.

I plan to go back and try this again to keep practicing :-)

The thing you may be missing is you are used to flying a certain glide
slope, probably defined by the VASI. On a short field for me at least
the final approach over the obstruction to flare is MUCH steeper. I'm
trading off comfort and some margin for a very short roll-out.

About early flap retraction -- you may have been higher than me when
you brought them up -- also mine are powered, it takes seconds for the
Mooney's to retract, and the M20's wings are very low, ground effect
is there even with flaps up. Doing it my way may only buy 50 feet of
runout -- never tested that, but I know now the nature of the next
flying skills wager that'll happen between me and my flying buddies.
It will have to do with how close to the runway turnoff can we land
and still make the turn. I can see myself dragging it in, hanging on
the prop way on the back side of the power curve, touching down on the
tail skid. I guess we'd have to agree the airplane should be usable
after the landing for the landing to be valid, and no swing wings or
arresting cables allowed (one buddy is ex Navy, he misses the tail
hook).

It could be an expensive way to win a 'burger and a coke.