Old September 24th 11, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jeff R.[_3_]

Default Group Activity

"Jim Logajan" wrote in message ...
"Jeff R." wrote:
If you were interested in building a Zenith CH-701 (or similar), would
you go for the leading edge wing slats(as designed), or dispense with
them and use vortex generators instead?

I believe that the original Savannah Aircraft kit was first released with
leading slats, then they changed it to vortex generators because the latter
provided all the benefits of the former with no loss of STOL performance.
Here is an interesting web page describing tests done on Savannah:

http://www.stolspeed.com/slats-v-s-vgs

But the above is on a web site that appears to sell VGs. Here is what Chris
Heintz thinks of VGs vs slats for his 701:

http://www.zenithair.com/stolch801/d...vg-design.html

....and that exactly demonstrates my dilemma.

Neither is impartial.
Who is right?

I'm inclined to trust Chris Heintz, as the engineer/innovator, but at the same time he has (had - he's retired) a significant financial attachment to L.E. slats. Not just on the 701, but right up to th 850.

On balance, I'm inclined to favour VGs (Piper Cub didn't need slats), but I'm put off Savannah just simply because of their unethical poaching of CH's designs.

I plan to cut the first stringers in about a year from now.

Maybe I could build retractable slats?

(joke)

--
Jeff R.