Old August 22nd 05, 02:16 PM
Paul kgyy

Default Gann Movie "Island in the Sky"

I just watched the DVD of Gann's movie (based on his book, based in
turn on an actual event) last night. I recommend it highly. It's a
good story, the B/W photography is superb, and the aviation element is
about as faithful as it gets. There's also a mini-biography which is
interesting as well as a discussion of mid-50's aerial photography.

The movie stops at the point where the crew is found. Gann's book,
Fate is the Hunter, says that it took another 3 weeks to get the crew
out (doesn't mention how - ski planes?) and even later they flew in a
bulldozer, made a runway on the lake bed, and flew the airplane out.