Old January 30th 05, 09:14 PM

Tim Ward wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Tim Ward wrote:

Well, on sailplanes, anyway, you sand to make sure the airfoil is

the
right
shape, (shrinkage can occur over the spars after some time out of

the
molds), and to make sure that any waves in the contour are less

than
.004
inches.

That's another reason to try scraping. Scrapers can be filed to a
particular curve for just that sort of work.

The curvature changes continuously chordwise, and most sailplane

wings have
taper, so the curvature will change with the spanwise station as

well. So
it's difficult for me to see how you could cut a single curve that

would
match.

You can do that by skewing the scraper and adjusting the angle of
atttack between the scraper and the wing.

How do you vary the curvature when shaping with sandpaper?

Now, for a constant chord wing, that might make an interesting

production
technique:
Build your wing, then build up an extra layer of filler, then

"extrude" the
whole wing panel through a CNC cut scraper, getting exact, smooth
coordinates on the way.

Yes, that would be easier though I still don't see how it would be
done with sandpaper, and think it would be especially difficult
with sandblasting!

It is also the case that not all homebuilt aircraft wings are
fabricated
to the same exacting tolerances as state-of-the art sailplanes, right?
--

FF