Old February 20th 09, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
bildan

Default Zen and the sticking RG-45 rod

On Feb 19, 1:38*pm, wright1902glider wrote:
It would seem that my last post drug out every old lurker that's ever
been on RAH (except Chuck... what's he up to these days?) Even BWB
sent me an unearthly vibe the other day.

But now that I have the torch, I've got a serious welding question.
Two actually. Number one is: anyone ever get firebrick from the Borg?
I've looked, but not scored any.

I got my firebrick from Denver Brick. If you can't get it from a
brick company, check with fireplace outfits.

Second question: It seems that every time I dip the filler rod into
the puddle (shuddup and think about welding for a minute), every time
I dip the rod into the puddle, it sticks to the base metal and I end
up melting it off with the torch which I know isn't right based on the
shower of sparks. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Yeah, you're in too much of a hurry. Gas welding is sloooow. Don't
stick the filler rod in the puddle, just hold it a few mm above it and
wait for the heat to melt off a drop which should fall into the
puddle. You want fill metal to drip into the puddle