Old December 5th 03, 07:07 PM
303pilot

I've heard europeans say this before but I just don't understand. With 200'
of rope I'm roughly 2 seconds behind the tow plane. That's 2 seconds to
construct a response to whatever I see happen to the tow plane. How does
shortening the interval make things easier?

The only case I can think of is if the rope is short enough that the tow
plane and glider experience things at the same time. I guess that's what
you get w/15 meter ropes? Please help me understand why anyone would ever
intentionally get (and stay!!!) only one wingspan (or less with slack) away
from the tow plane.

Brent
(who mostly gets towed through benign 3 knotters, but has experienced 13
knotters and Minden wave/rotor)
"Janusz Kesik" wrote in message
Użytkownik BTIZ w wiadomości do grup
dyskusyjnych napisał:rjQzb.7929$yf.258@fed1read01...

We use closer to or more than 200ft of rope.. trying to teach on a

150ft
rope gets real "interesting".

I agree: "interesting"... 150ft is a rope used in first flights here
(Poland), the longest. The only situations when we use longer ropes is
the triple tow (30, 50 and 75 metres). I'd rather say, that using the
short rope would make the tow easier. When towing for a typical
thermalling, the 30m (90ft?) rope is just OK, and I often flew with 20m
rope, especially in the mountains - in most cases the tow was easier and
more comfortable to me. Also gaining height (in order to shorten the tow)
by a towplane with glider behind is much, really much easier and less
stressing when using a short 20-30m rope.
When practising the "wave tow" and in real flights throught the rotors,
the 15-20m long rope is used.

The last advice I could give for Mark is: enter the propwash and stay
here. This should make keeping the rope spanned easier.

Regards,

--
Janusz Kesik

visit