Old May 7th 04, 03:00 AM
Scott Lowrey

Default Airspeed Indication and Relative Wind

If I'm descending slowly with a relatively nose-high attitude - say, in
preparation for a short field landing - does the high angle of the pitot
tube have any effect on indicated airspeed? (I suppose all designs are
different - say this is a 172.)

If the descent was steep, the relative wind would be coming from below
and forward with respect to the wing, right? Add the pitch angle, and
it seems like the pitot tube would be at a fairly angle with respect to
the direction of air flow. I suppose this is a simple angle of attack
question....

Seems like the air would be passing slightly "over" the pitot tube
opening rather than "into" it, thus reducing the measure air pressure.
Is this correct? Is indicated airspeed affected by high AOA?

-Scott