Old June 10th 06, 12:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Track, Bearing, Course, Heading

On 9 Jun 2006 19:14:31 -0700, wrote:

Hello,

I'm sure I should know the difference between all of these... but it
kinda starts to blur together. I'm sure there are others on here who'd
like a refresher. Anyone out there want to explain the differences to
us?

-dr

Since your dealing in "aviation-speak", it is usually best to take
definitions from the Pilot/Controller Glossary:

BEARING- The horizontal direction to or from any point, usually measured
clockwise from true north, magnetic north, or some other reference point
through 360 degrees.

COURSE-
a. The intended direction of flight in the horizontal plane measured in
degrees from north.

b. The ILS localizer signal pattern usually specified as the front course
or the back course.

c. The intended track along a straight, curved, or segmented MLS path.

TRACK- The actual flight path of an aircraft over the surface of the earth.

or

TRACK [ICAO]- The projection on the earth's surface of the path of an
aircraft, the direction of which path at any point is usually expressed in
degrees from North (True, Magnetic, or Grid).

Note the subtle difference between COURSE and TRACK -- COURSE is the
"intended direction of flight"; TRACK is the "actual flight path"

HEADING is not defined in the P/CG, but is the direction that the nose of
the aircraft is pointing -- and may be expressed as TRUE or MAGNETIC.