Old June 10th 06, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Track, Bearing, Course, Heading

Roy,

Course and track are different.

Course is the line you draw on the map.

Track is the history of the airplanes movement over the ground.

If you keep the track superimposed on the course you will get to your
destination.

Karl
ATP CFI ETC
"Curator" N185KG

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
In article .com,
wrote:

Hello,

I'm sure I should know the difference between all of these... but it
kinda starts to blur together. I'm sure there are others on here who'd
like a refresher. Anyone out there want to explain the differences to

-dr

Track is the motion you are making over the ground. It is what a GPS
shows.

Bearing is the direction from you to someplace else. It can be absolute
(bearing 270 degrees) or relative (9 O'Clock).

I would say that Course and Track mean the same thing. They both refer to
your motion over the ground.

Heading is what direction the nose of the plane is pointing. It's what
you
read off your compass or DG. If there was no wind, Heading and Course
would be the same.