Old February 26th 06, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default OT - Plasma TV question

Sorry I can't answer the questions for you, but I like your idea a
whole lot. We always attend movie night at our daughters' school even
if we already saw the movies several times. Hooking it up to FS would
be awesome, I suppose. Here's a link to a full size controls for sale
on Ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/helic...QQcmdZViewItem

or http://makeashorterlink.com/?C25F514BC

It is for a helicopter though.

The Monk

Jay Honeck wrote:
I'm considering installing a big-screen plasma (or LCD) TV in our
meeting room at the inn, for use during presentations, etc.

An alternative (and, to me, more important) use of this equipment would
be as "God's Own Flight Simulator" for visiting pilots and their
families to use. I think it would be way cool to have a wall-sized
flight simulator display available for our guests, and it would be a
great way to hook kids of all ages on aviation in general. (Most of
our guests are not pilots, despite the aviation theme...)

It would also be cool to have "movie nights" at the inn, showing
classic aviation movies. 'Top Gun' on a 60 inch plasma TV would be a
great draw!

Sadly, I haven't kept up with this technology, and I notice there are
several competing systems. Also, I'm starting to see the long-awaited
convergence between computers and TV, with Dell offering flat panel
"displays" that look just like TVs.

Is anyone on the 'group an expert with this stuff? Anyone already
own one? Can anyone recommend (or steer me clear from) any brands?
Are all plasma TVs usable as computer monitors, too?

Thanks!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA