Old November 22nd 05, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Flying into NYC for Thanksgiving Day Parade

From what I've heard, FRG is much more spamcan-friendly than TEB. Small
planes are second-class citizens compared to the biz jets at TEB. If you
park at either Long Island Jet Center or Atlantic Aviation, they will take
you to the Farmingdale Long Island Rail Road train station 5 minutes away.
Contrary to what Dave M wrote, an evening trip TO NYC is not rush hour. Even
if it was, the trains operate on a schedule and they're on-time about 95% of
the time so a delay should not be expected. Delays due to other reasons are
usually 5-10 minutes. Actually, trains run every 20 minutes during rush hour
as opposed to once an hour at other times (off-peak) so it's probably better
during rush hour (albeit a bit crowded).

The actual train ride is about 55 minutes and it will take you into Penn
Station like the trains coming from NJ. I would either go to FRG or MMU in
NJ. Weather looks dicey, use caution.

Marco Leon

"John Doe" wrote in message

"David Megginson" wrote in message
oups.com...
John Doe wrote:

I was thinking about flying the family up to NYC to see the

Thanksgiving
Day
Parade.

Anyone recommend an airport to fly in to?

IFR or VFR?

If you're coming in VFR, it's nice to pick an airport on the same side
of the class B as you are, all other things being equal. I come from
the north, so it's trivially easy to get into Teterboro (KTEB) or
Caldwell (KCDW) VFR. IFR, you can get some funky routings no matter
what you do. You'll be coming from the south, so I don't know what
would work best. Linden? (I've never tried it).

I've found that Republic (KFRG), Caldwell, and Teterboro all have
similar costs for tie-down and fuel. From Republic, you get a lift in
the FBO van to the LIRR station and take the train into Penn Station;
from Teterboro, you take an expensive taxi/limo ride or a cheap bus to
the Port Authority. From Caldwell, an expensive car/taxi is
pretty-much your only realistic choice.

Personally, I plan to stick with Teterboro from now on, because I fly
in from Canada, and Teterboro has customs onsite at Atlantic Aviation
(so I don't have to make an extra stop in Massena). It's on the wrong
side of the class B for you, though.

Republic sounds tempting vs TEB. How long is the train ride to Penn
Station?

http://www.usenet.com