Old September 8th 20, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Refinishing ASW24

On Monday, September 7, 2020 at 5:40:31 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I have been working on the horizontal stab and the two elevators for the past two weeks. I have never seen such difficult gel coat to remove. I am no rookie at gel coat, have done many boats and a bit of glider repair, but this is a beast to remove. It took me six full days to remove the gel coat from the stab. Just today I did one elevator and will do the other tomorrow..
I am bringing it back up with acrylic urethane, so far so good, just a lot of work and a few drinks of rum. Bob

Scales tell the tell of the removed gelcoat. Before weight of the stab with the elevators removed was 11 pounds 13 .8 oz. after removal of the gel the weight was 10 pounds 12.8 oz or a net loss of 1.lb, are you surprised??
The elevators weighed 1.91 and 1.95 respectfully, left and right. after removal of the gel the weights were 1lb 6.9 oz and 1 lb 7.0 oz. I have completed gel removal on the stab and elevators and are now rebuilding the surfaces. Only used two boxes of band-aids on my fingers and drank two bottles of good Cuban rum.