Old September 17th 16, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

Default Hod Taylor

I stopped by Soar Minden one day just to kill some time and see who was there. Hod was the lone occupant of the office that day so we shot the breeze for maybe 20 minutes. Hod tended to be a little on the curmudgeonly side, but in a normally good spirited way. When I was getting ready to leave I told Hod, I had to get some work done in my hangar. He said something like, "Doors open, don't let me slow you down." To which I responded, "I'm not leaving until you smile!" He looked straight at me and I at him . . . and after a short delay he gave me a quick smile that must have lasted just a few milliseconds. I said, "Good enough!" and headed out :c)

There was a lot to love about the guy.

Years ago, Fred LaSor learned that after Hod bailed out of his WWII P-38 Lightning in the pattern with a smoke filled cockpit, he never did his membership pin and certificate in the Caterpillar Club. So Fred set about doing the research and obtaining the military records to get things set straight. And then Fred organized a surprise gathering at SoaringNV for ol' Hod to present him with the award he "earned" over 60 years before.

I wasn't the only person in the room with tears welling in my eyes. It was great to see the joy in Hod's face and a great way to say thanks to Hod as well. I let Fred know what a great idea and good job he'd done putting it all together.

There are sure to be lots of Hod stories I know. You couldn't know the man without having a memorable moment or more. Everyone who knew him must have several! Sad to see good guys go.

bumper