Old September 28th 07, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_1_]

Default Panel Materials

On Sep 27, 9:39 am, Tim Taylor wrote:
I am getting ready to replace the panel in my Ventus B. Are there any
standard materials (especially the core) and recommended glass and
core thickness used to layup a new one?

This is a fixed panel, does not pop up when the canopy is opened.

I was thinking of using a 1/16" to 1/8" core of DIVINYCELL. So far
the thinest I can find is 1/8", is this too thick and will it handle
the compression of mounting screws through it?

Tim,

The ventus b uses the panel as a part of the structure of the
fuselage. I molded a panel of fiberglass using a plywood mold,
installed and found that the canopy made strange creeking sounds when
under load in a pull up. I installed a 1/4" X 2.5" bar approximatle 8
inches in front of the panel attached to the sides of the fuselage
rail to provide support so the fuselage would not flex.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com