Old September 28th 07, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

Default Panel Materials

"Richard" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Sep 27, 1:36 pm, SoaringXCellence wrote:
On Sep 27, 9:39 am, Tim Taylor wrote:

I am getting ready to replace the panel in my Ventus B. Are there any
standard materials (especially the core) and recommended glass and
core thickness used to layup a new one?

This is a fixed panel, does not pop up when the canopy is opened.

I was thinking of using a 1/16" to 1/8" core of DIVINYCELL. So far
the thinest I can find is 1/8", is this too thick and will it handle
the compression of mounting screws through it?

There is a company: Aerospace Composite Products, that has various
types of pre-make composite panels. All are carbon or glass with
various "fillers" of foam, glass, and something they call Corelite
Other panels of thicknesses over .5 inch are done with foam and balsa.

http://www.acp-composites.com/

I would check with them regarding using one of their panels to make
the blank.

I used many of their products in the past and they're always top of
the line.

Mike

The carbon fiber will be hard to cut and drill and will probably
require carbide tools. I would recommend fiberglass. Also if you
mold a fiberglass panel you can mold one with out the sharp edges.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

I've drilled and cut carbon fiber/epoxy structures with ordinary wood and
metal tools. They work fine but do require more frequent sharpening. Do
wear a good respirator and eye protection when working with either
fiberglass or carbon.

Bill Daniels