Old September 5th 19, 05:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Malone

Default Logan, Utah Mountain XC Camp Report

On Tuesday, September 3, 2019 at 8:30:56 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Over twenty glider pilots had an amazing week in Logan, Utah mid-August 2019 and the world should know how great Logan is to come fly. Logan is a magical, technical mountain soaring site that allows pilots to fly all over northern Utah and far into both Idaho and Wyoming as well. I figure you won't take one of the organizers' word for it so I hope some of the pilots who came out will also post their experiences here.

Logan is a larger college town with lots to offer outside of just soaring so your spouse isn't stuck in some windy, dust bowl of a Podunk town while you are up playing. The airport is very capable of hosting glider events without our getting in the way of other power traffic. While we do launch a little bit later in the 1pm-2pm range, the lift stays till dark so we can still enjoy 6-7 hour big flights. Another nice thing about Logan is that when an event is not going on, there are still tows available from Kim Hall 6 days per week all season long. Many pilots make it out to Logan on a yearly basis to fly for a week or two during the prime soaring months.

We had some fantastic flights during our camp, great weather, amazing dinners, and we were able to enjoy the mountain soaring safely with not much stress. We hope to do another mountain camp in Logan again in a few years.

Here's a video from my first day flying from Logan during the event - fun stuff: https://youtu.be/c6m9n5jYWCk

Safe flying,
Bruno - B4

Attended the Logan camp this year and learned a lot about flying close to rocks. It was a good event - not too crowded but met a lot nice pilots and crew. I am very glad I attended. Big thanks to Bruno, Cindy, Ron, and Kim for hosting a nice event.

Dan M - PG