Old September 6th 19, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ralph Trinity

Default Logan, Utah Mountain XC Camp Report

GREAT Experience. We drove from Austin Texas and can't wait to do this again.
1) Bruno + Ron + Kim + Cindy and the team did a Great job running an instructive and safe camp. They were constantly coaching and helping keep us safe..

2) The Logan Ridge + 4 other convenient Ridges + Valley lift + The western desert + Wave Lift + multi-sourced Convergence lift makes this soaring site one of the most interesting and educational sites I've ever experienced.

3) I've flown Nephi as well, and both sites have their attractions. Both are great places to fly. For you experienced ridge runners and mountain flyers that have not yet tried logan, Kim will be glad to give you a tow so if you are in the area you might want to give it a try.

4) The ridge lift was great, the convergence lift was great, there was wave that more skilled pilots could have harnessed as well, and the thermals were great as well.

5) Some people find climbing up the ridge at the start of day to be work. Ron and Bruno made some simple changes that make that less taxing. First they launched later in the day when the thermal and wind activity made this easier. Second they permitted people to tow to a height that made the connection easier. Whether you are using the camp or are an experienced pilot getting a tow from Kim, I recommend for the first few days you use both of those techniques.

THANKS AGAIN to RON and BRUNO for continuing this great work with these camps and contests at Nephi and Logan, and for all the videos that are educating and teaching people about soaring and soaring with the appropriate disciplines.