Old April 14th 04, 10:21 PM
Tim Mara

I'm not a fan of flying from the back of a 233 (I really don't like the
front in a 233 any better :-)
but that really isn't the only thing that is losing instructors.....When I
became a CFI I had hoped and even planned on training enough new glider
pilots that some would eventually take over and become instructors
themselves, thereby giving back what was given to them..very few ever
did...a lot of KUDOS to the ones that have.....
Glider pilots (not all) in general are a self centered group of
"individuals" that's why we like flying along in our single seaters, using
one man rigs, flying motor gliders and so on......all of these things
contribute to being self sufficient and well, self centered....we hear the
chant on how to save soaring, promote the sport, but generally followed by a
chant, "so it'll still be there for me"..
Giving back and instructing others is a challenge, it's a lot of effort and
has few rewards outside of seeing another happy new pilot on his way to new
adventures....but without finding more new instructors to take the lead we
will continue to see the decline in our favorite pastime....and all the
promotion and advertising we do nothing.
tim

"Bill Daniels" wrote in message

"Tim Mara" wrote in message
there is one very solid reason soaring is declining.that is the lack of
qualified gliding instructors!
If any of us expect to keep soaring alive it's not only recruiting new
members, but also, and more inportantly, having someone available to

bring
these new recruits to the poinyt where that can actually get

certification
and eventually fly and own their own gliders....
tim

Yep, and a lot of instructors are quitting because they are fed up with

the
back seat of a 2-33.

Bill Daniels