Old January 13th 17, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Benalla

What happens when you "like" something and why should I do it?

On 1/12/2017 1:20 PM, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Thursday, January 12, 2017 at 12:01:02 PM UTC-7, Dan Stroschine wrote:
On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 3:28:41 AM UTC-7, Dave Springford wrote:
There are 70 trackers deployed amongst 113 pilots. They were dispersed such that every country has at least one tracker per class so you can probably guess where the other pilot from each country is, in each class

The tracking seems to be working great! The refresh is amazing. Now it's even more interesting to watch.

Yes, but the missing 43 trackers and those not functioning make the race less interesting because you can see some of the real challenges live. It'll get better along with the new Iridium satellite constellation and other changes.

WRT Facebook reluctance and luddites. I don't post much on Facebook, but really do enjoy the streams from various quarters including many of the people I shared a military career with. Social media is not a panacea, the Internet is simply a smorgasbord of shifting paradigms. So much so that it is difficult to keep up with more than 3-4 or maybe a half dozen. However, Facebook does allow for various soaring communities to share and for some sites to aggregate this actively. I expect more in the future.

I'll share that someone with a video channel has recently and suddenly seen a huge increase in viewers and comments and questions that appear to be contact from a new demographic, millennials I'd reckon, based on the banter. Almost like a celeb tweeted a channel checkout to a fanbase. Flash in the pan or long term impact remains to be seen.

So get a gmail or some other toss away account, sign up for Facebook and like some soaring related pages. Twitter is not as engaged in US Soaring as it is in Europe and Canada. I'm clueless about snapchat, but my attention span is longer than 30 seconds.

You too Bob!

Frank Whiteley

--
Dan, 5J