Old January 13th 17, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Benalla

On Friday, January 13, 2017 at 5:26:05 AM UTC-7, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 01:15:56 -0800, Bruce Hoult wrote:

On Friday, January 13, 2017 at 5:16:20 AM UTC+3, Dan Marotta wrote:
What happens when you "like" something and why should I do it?

On 1/12/2017 1:20 PM, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Thursday, January 12, 2017 at 12:01:02 PM UTC-7, Dan Stroschine
wrote:
On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 3:28:41 AM UTC-7, Dave Springford
wrote:
There are 70 trackers deployed amongst 113 pilots. They were
dispersed such that every country has at least one tracker per
class so you can probably guess where the other pilot from each
country is, in each class

The tracking seems to be working great! The refresh is amazing. Now
it's even more interesting to watch.
Yes, but the missing 43 trackers and those not functioning make the
race less interesting because you can see some of the real challenges
live. It'll get better along with the new Iridium satellite
constellation and other changes.

WRT Facebook reluctance and luddites. I don't post much on Facebook,
but really do enjoy the streams from various quarters including many
of the people I shared a military career with. Social media is not a
panacea, the Internet is simply a smorgasbord of shifting paradigms.
So much so that it is difficult to keep up with more than 3-4 or
maybe a half dozen. However, Facebook does allow for various soaring
communities to share and for some sites to aggregate this actively.
I expect more in the future.

I'll share that someone with a video channel has recently and
suddenly seen a huge increase in viewers and comments and questions
that appear to be contact from a new demographic, millennials I'd
reckon, based on the banter. Almost like a celeb tweeted a channel
checkout to a fanbase. Flash in the pan or long term impact remains
to be seen.

So get a gmail or some other toss away account, sign up for Facebook
and like some soaring related pages. Twitter is not as engaged in US
Soaring as it is in Europe and Canada. I'm clueless about snapchat,
but my attention span is longer than 30 seconds.

The person who posted the thing you "like" can see a count of how many
people "liked" it (and can bring up a list of just who) and may get a
warm fuzzy feeling in their tummy.

... and the Zuck gets more information about you that he can flog to
advertisers.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Yeah, showing me ads for items I've already purchased via Amazon somehow seems like a waste of bandwidth. Scrolling past the other ads is trivial. We don't get any of that on our organizational pages. Remember MySpace? Still out there but no one talks about it much. Same could happen with Facebook in time but soaring organizations can't really ignore it for now. A lot of video and other content is there at the moment that may not appear elsewhere, which is unfortunate, because I'd really like to share it with Bob. BGA makes pretty good use of FB and Twitter.

Your personal digital footprint is interesting BTW.

Best,

Frank Whiteley