Old December 9th 03, 10:23 PM
Roger Halstead

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 15:18:46 -0600, "James M. Knox"
wrote:

"JimC" wrote in
:

Interesting point. I do remember when I first started flying I
thought the AI should work like the turn coordinator. It seemed more
natural for me to think of how the plane was doing relative to the
horizon rather than how the horizon was doing relative to the plane.
It likely varies from one person to the next, but I think I would have
been happy had the AI been built, as you say, "outside-in".

I'm with you. For some reason I have to FORCE myself to correctly
interpret the standard AI. It has *always* seemed backwards to me.

Logically, I don't know why. I am "fixed" in the plane and seeing the
background of the AI as a virtual "outside the window horizon" should be
perfectly natural... but for me it just doesn't work well. [And yes, I fly
a lot of hard IFR. G]

Hey! Do I have a deal for you:-))

I have one of the outside in AIs setting on the work bench. Fully
operational, but old. Looks to be in good shape. I took it out of the
Debonair early on.

The photos aren't the best, but they show the difference.
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/gauges.htm

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair?)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Return address modified due to dumb virus checkers

James M. Knox
TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
1109-A Shady Lane fax 512-366-4331
Austin, Tx 78721