Old October 8th 03, 05:38 PM
Paul J. Adam

In message . net,
Steven P. McNicoll writes
"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message
Because they have around 30 nautical miles to cover in
barges good for 4 knots , even if we ignore the effects
of the Channel rip currents they would need more than 24 hours
to get the first wave across and then they need to ferry
more troops and supplies using converted river barges
towed by tugboats.

Why does it take a full day for the first wave to cover 30 miles at 4 knots?

Think of the size of the armada and the time it takes to get them all
embarked, out of port, formed up, marshalled and ready. Then start
moving. Then try to get the right barges to the right landing points.
It's not timing one barge over the distance - it's getting the force
loaded up, formed up, across the Channel and unloaded.

Having done this in a peacetime exercise, try again under fire.

I wouldnt have wanted to be in one of those deathtraps
even if nobody was shooting at me but let loose
30 destroyers and 10 cruisers from harwich and the
result wont be pretty.

They'd certainly get some of the invasion force, but those surface vessels
wouldn't last long against determined airpower without supporting airpower
of their own.

Couple of days, maybe, until the high-angle ammo ran out. The Germans
run out of invasion shipping long before the RN run out of warships.

--
When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite.
W S Churchill