Old July 15th 20, 02:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams[_2_]

Default FS: Softie Mini

On Wednesday, July 15, 2020 at 6:35:34 AM UTC-5, Ross wrote:
So I have been doing some reading and I cannot find the answer I am looking for
Parachutes are TSO items
When they were certified back in the day there were no life limits.

What I am looking for is the TM or AD that states that it now has a 20 year life.
If someone can provide that then I will throw it in the rubbish.

If any other TSO part manufacturer turned round and wrote on their web page you can only fly your item for 2000 hours then it is scrap would you do it?
Surely it would require something a little more substantial.

If someone has more info then please share

Hi Ross,
At least in the U.S.,
There seems to be a culture among riggers that brings the arbitrary age of the rig into consideration.
Maybe this comes from some military experience, (the U.S. military equipment has an expiration date)
Maybe it comes from the American parachute Association (opinions not regulation)
Maybe it is a fear of lawsuits.
Do some European countries have a life limit?

The cumulative effect is that generally riggers are not packing parachutes of a certain age, rendering them useless despite their actual condition.