Old July 12th 04, 03:12 PM
sidk

Yes. Some years ago a sharp rock punctured a small hole in the bottom
of the fuel tank in my wife's car. I repaired it with JB Weld and it
is still sealed. I also use JB Weld in the capacitance fuel probe for
my Velocity. And on the radiator top tank in my wifes car.
Two important surface preparation requirements for a long-term fix:
1) Clean
2) Rough
First clean it well with MEK or lacquer thinner before doing and
sanding else you sand the dirt/oil into the roughness. Then scrape
and sand as appropriate to get a rough surface. Then clean again.
Repeat if needed.

Force the JB Weld into the surface roughness with your fingers
(protected by vinyl gloves or the magic "invisable glove" paste eases
clean-up) or a popsicle stick ground off straight on one end.
One thing nice about JB Weld is that it is self-leveling on a
horizontal surface but this will be a problem on a surface with any
slope as the JB Weld will tend to sag to the low side. What I do is
mix a little chopped fiberglass (use scisors to chop it into 2 to 3 mm
lengths). This gives it some "body" and also makes a stronger patch.

Sid Knox

Velocity N199RS
Starduster N666SK
KR2 N24TC
W7QJQ

(JFLEISC) wrote in message ...

Use JB Weld! The regular type NOT the quick hardening stuff. Make sure
the area is oil free and cleaned with MEK or Carb Cleaning solvent.

Is this stuff fuel proof? Can a fuel tank leak be sealed the same way from the
outside?

Jim