Old May 15th 05, 12:14 PM
Ric

Default High Fright

High Fright (A&P version of HIGH FLIGHT)

Oh! I have slipped the surly aircraft into the hangar

And checked for dents on these-silvered wings;

Sunward I've climbedinto the cockpit, and joined the murk

Mars bar wrappers, coke cans and a hundred things

Things you have not dreamed of - cleaned polished or flung

High in the sunlit silence. The owner, hovering there,

I've chased him shouting," it's double if you watch!!"

My hands pulling out my hair.

"I'll wait till your in surgery and I'll come and watch you"

I've topped the tanks with easy grace, and cleaned the screen

Where never Lark or even Eagle dropped -

And while I sign off snags and filled out the log

The bill is raised with such high hopes it will be paid

Meanwhile they push in another Dog

Apologies to John Gillespie Magee, Jr. (1922-1941)

The original piece -http://www.trasksdad.com/PopsProg/poem.HTM (make sure
your volume is high)