Old January 2nd 07, 10:16 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval,us.military.navy
John Carrier

Default New Carriers - Old refurbishments - New Navy Fighters that go FAR - FAST - and HIGH

SNIP

(3) Since there is not a Naval F-22, hardly can't see the Typhoon working
sensibly, and we do not want to deal with the French for the Rafale (which
is the best Naval fighter around today) - then going back and redesigning
super-Tomcat is not a bad idea and since now with the F-15E and F-14D we
have the right engines around - go for the digital improved all - electric
Tomcat.

The Tomcat was a very specific answer to a very particular question, that
being "How do we deal with a regiment-plus of Badgers or Backfires armed
with supersonic high-diving carrier-killing ASMs?". Lacking that threat,
there's no urgent requirement for a Tomcat or replacement.

Actually pretty flexible answer to a number of problems. While its fleet
defense capability was unique, the airframe was easily adapted to the deep
(emphasis DEEP) strike roll. Had the Navy invested in the airframe's growth
capability (as the USAF did with the F-15), it would have had a most capable
(if not THE most capable) carrier strike aircraft on the planet.

The F-18 is maintainable in spades and this certainly is the most important
driver in the shipboard environment. I don't know whether the F-14 could
have ever been developed sufficiently in this regard, my educated guess is
not even close.

R / John