Old May 24th 17, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrew Ainslie

Default Letter to the FAA

The "We just need to train better" mantra doesn't always work. Every single one of us knows of a couple of people at our own airfield with dodgy skills, and it's always hard to just boot someone from a club, or ground them. Plus, the gliders most likely to kite are exactly the ones flown by the least experienced pilots - old crappy club ships.

My personal takeaway after reading these threads is simple - I personally will NEVER fly a schweitzer towhook plane with a C of G glider on tow unless I know that glider pilot very, very well and trust them deeply. Just not worth it. Maybe having tow-pilots vote with their feet is a good way to get clubs and private operations to do the right thing here.

And that might be a better cure than getting the FAA involved. Not that they're likely to listen anyway.