Old July 2nd 17, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Letter to the FAA

How easy is it to flip the hook on towplanes other than a Pawnee? Logbook entry? 337? STC? Lots of people are going to need to know after the FAA takes action on your litter.
Gregg, I am quite confident that you are the kind of guy who starts a
fight and then runs. Glad you are "confidant." I am very confident. I
am trying to approach this situation while doing as little to inhibit
the soaring world as possible. Comments and attitudes such as yours
make me want to say the hell with it, send the letter, be as scathing as
possible. I can't do that, it is inconsistent with who I am. I still
have many friends in the soaring community and wish not to get in the
way of their enjoyment of soaring.

I have been told by A&Ps that there is very little difficulty in getting
permission to invert the Schweizer hook (There is an STC available for
the Pawnee) nor is there great difficulty in repositioning the release
handle to a position allowing the tow pilot instant access. These will
be my two foremost recommendations to the FAA. For those facilities
towing with a Schweizer hook and pulling gliders with a maximum gross
weight greater than 1500 lbs, they are in violation of the manufacturers
recommendations based on the 1200 lb tow rope limitation.

Have a great day

--
Walt Connelly