Old August 30th 17, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Letter to the FAA

Gosh, this has been a concern for many years.

At least one way to look at this is to consider is it a problem?

There are recorded instances of glider pilots becoming too high on the tow plane early on tow resulting in lifting the tail of the towplane driving it into the ground. Killing the tow pilot.

It is well known if you lift on the tail-installed tow release with enough force, the Schweizer tow release may not function.

The soaring community can not ignore the problem.

I remember when we installed the Tost tow release on our tow planes many years ago. We felt it best to have our installation (easy) approved by an FAA inspector. He took a simple look at the installation and approved it on the spot.

The Tost tow release is a low cost item and easy to install.