Old February 25th 19, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

Default TOW PLANE Accident

On Thursday, February 21, 2019 at 5:13:06 PM UTC+2, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
I don't hang onto the release during tow.
I never taught to hang onto the release during tow.
In glass ships, we have a looped rope tied to the release and laid across our thigh to make a quick release easier.

Why no holding the release? Many things.....
A sneeze can pull it
Turbulence can pull it
Something sudden (like a bee/wasp flying around) can pull it

You do your thing, I'll do mine.
;-)

Exactly, keeping your hand on release greatly increases risk for inadverted release which on many airfields leads to accident when done at low altitude. Only time I keep my hand on the release is beginning of take of roll, for aborting the tow if wingtip catches ground: https://youtu.be/WduEiQqLWJU